Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Eat-and-run

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
      > (Hershey's chocolate is our Milka, though not as good.)

      Hershey's is the best bad chocolate there is.

      I'll tell you the American food I miss most of all - since you've asked.
      It's not vanilla breakfast bars, tootsie rolls, fruit loops, oreos,
      ice-cream sandwiches, or artificial grape juice (though these are a grievous
      loss), but breakfast sausage: spicy American breakfast sausage. Sadly
      unobtainable here, or in Britain.

      Michael, you're an entrepreneurial type: ever thought of branching
      out into sausage-exporting? You could do Smithfield ham, too. Blue Danube
      Meat-packing and Translation Services. Yeah, has a ring to it, doesn't it?

      Simon
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
        If it makes any consolation to you, Simon, I am pretty sure it´s just a
        question of time when your sausages crop up in the Czech market too.
        Recently, I was shocked by finding my favourite coarse cut marmalade (not
        jam) in one of Tesco stores....

        Cheers
        Martin

      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
          In a message dated 3/1/02 5:56:19 AM, rachelandsimon@... writes:

          >I'll tell you the American food I miss most of all - since you've asked.
          >It's not vanilla breakfast bars, tootsie rolls, fruit loops, oreos,
          >ice-cream sandwiches, or artificial grape juice (though these are a grievous
          >loss), but breakfast sausage: spicy American breakfast sausage. Sadly
          >unobtainable here, or in Britain.

          It sounds like you love a lot of the foods I hate. I detested Fruit Loops
          even when I was a child. You'll be interested to know that there are now
          several kinds of Oreos, including Oreos with "double stuff", as the package
          says. I use chocolate cream Oreos (containing double stuff, but chocolate)
          instead of coffee on those days when I need a huge caffeine jag.

          Speaking of food cravings following you across the ocean, mine were pretty
          strange: A couple summers ago I got a huge craving for water from Antonickuv
          Pramen, or Ambroziuv Pramen in Marianske Lazne. I went all over hell looking
          for a suitable substitute and made due with some fizzy German mineral water,
          even though it wasn't the same. After a couple days that craving went away,
          but suddenly I had an irresistable craving for a greasy piece of grilled
          kielbasa served with a dollop of spicy mustard on a piece of grey cardboard.
          Well, that was something I just COULDN'T get here, so there was no quenching
          that desire.

          And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

          Jamie
        • Simon Vaughan
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
            > If it makes any consolation to you, Simon, I am pretty sure it´s just a
            > question of time when your sausages crop up in the Czech market too.
            > Recently, I was shocked by finding my favourite coarse cut marmalade (not
            > jam) in one of Tesco stores....

            I'm not as optimistic as you (that's why I'm relying on Michael).

            Simon
          • Simon Vaughan
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
              > It sounds like you love a lot of the foods I hate.

              :-D When have we ever agreed on anything, Jamie?

              > Speaking of food cravings following you across the ocean, mine were pretty
              > strange: A couple summers ago I got a huge craving for water from
              > Antonickuv Pramen, or Ambroziuv Pramen in Marianske Lazne.

              Perhaps you were deficient in certain minerals.

              > I went all over hell looking for a suitable substitute

              You went looking for water in hell? Bad choice.

              > but suddenly I had an irresistable craving for a greasy piece of grilled
              > kielbasa served with a dollop of spicy mustard on a piece of grey
              > cardboard.

              I stopped getting klobasy on Vaclavak after one squirted a fountain of
              grease on my suede coat; I was starting to get disillusioned anyway: the
              gristle content of the sausages is so high.

              > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

              :-D

              Root beer and cheetos. Miss them, too.

              Simon
            • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                > the gristle content of the sausages is so high

                I also get a little uneasy about the relatively small number of stray dogs
                in the streets of Prague...

                > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away

                Mmmmmm I particularly love those smazaks with a little hollow in the middle
                full of grease. Now there's food to make you "eat and run" (usually about
                two hours later in my experience...)

                Coilin
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                  > I stopped getting klobasy on Vaclavak after one squirted a fountain of
                  > grease on my suede coat; I was starting to get disillusioned anyway: the
                  > gristle content of the sausages is so high.

                  I stopped buying those after one kept me on the bog for a weekend - never
                  had a worse diarhea......but I admit they are seriously tempting on early
                  morning drunken returns from pubcrawls.....

                  Re: food we miss:

                  Sweden and Denmark has a great thing called "Kari Sild", they are sweet/sour
                  pickled herrings (Matjesy-kind) in a creamy curry sauce..........my local
                  Julius Meindl carries "svedske slede", but the sauce is sweeter, with no
                  curry and with dill.......I usually get half a kilo and mix them with sour
                  cream, one sachet of curry, chopped onions, bit of vinegar and a touch of
                  sugar....they are quite good after they've sat in a jar in the fridge for a
                  few days, but not as good as the original.......

                  Matej
                • Michael Grant
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                    On 3/1/02 4:51 AM, "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@...> wrote:

                    > Michael, you're an entrepreneurial type: ever thought of branching
                    > out into sausage-exporting? You could do Smithfield ham, too. Blue Danube
                    > Meat-packing and Translation Services. Yeah, has a ring to it, doesn't it?

                    Hmm, I'd prob'ly want to do chorizo. And picante sauce--anyone want to buy
                    some picante sauce?

                    Michael

                    --
                    _
                    | |
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                      On 3/1/02 5:20 AM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

                      > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

                      Hmm, we were just discussing Ukrainian salo on another list. Pure pork fat,
                      prepared in any number of ways....

                      Michael

                      --
                      "More and more of our imports are coming from overseas."
                      - George W. Bush