Re: [Czechlist] Re: Cesky Honza

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
      Would "simple Simon" be too silly-billyish?

      (No offence intended to certain listmates:-)

      Coilin
    • livingston@seznam.cz
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
        > I don't know how to render that in a blue-collar industrial setting.
        > (Please! No one suggest "Silly Billy"! Thank you!) The closest thing I
        > can think of is "that Bohunk hick", but that's a little strong.
        >
        > Any better suggestions?

        How 'bout "Homeboy"?

        Nathan Cutler
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
          On 2/26/02 11:59 PM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

          > The closest thing I can
          > think of is "that Bohunk hick", but that's a little strong.

          I think "the Bohunk" (without hick) might actually be a pretty good
          solution, assuming you need to retain the idea that he was Czech. Of course,
          if he can be a Polak the problem solves itself.

          Michael

          --
          "A journey of a thousand miles does begin with a single step, but it
          continues with the second and third...."

          - Art Palmer
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
            On 2/27/02 4:37 AM, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
            <coilin.oconnor@...> wrote:

            > Redneck? "okey from niskokie"?

            That's Okie from Muskogee (a real town in Oklahoma).
            Michael
            from a little ways south o' there

            --

            "When I was coming up, it was a dangerous world, and you knew exactly who
            they were," he said. "It was us vs. them, and it was clear who them was.

            - George W. Bush, Iowa Western Community College, Jan 21, 2000
          • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
              > > Redneck? "okey from niskokie"?
              >
              > That's Okie from Muskogee (a real town in Oklahoma).
              > Michael
              > from a little ways south o' there

              Thanks for the correction. I was writing it the way I had always heard it
              in that "and we don't take no trips on LSD" country song by that guy whose
              name I can't remember...

              Brgds

              Coilin
            • Zemedelec@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
                Simple Simon?
              • Simon Vollam
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
                  > Simple Simon?

                  You called?
                • raesim
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
                    According to Jonathon Green's Dictionary of Slang, 'bohunk' and its
                    variants (came to) combine the ideas of Slavic and stupid:

                    bohunk/bohak/bohawk n. (US) 1. [late 19C+] a Slav immigrant f.
                    Eastern Europe. 2. [1910s+] an oafish, dull, if muscular person. 3.
                    [1930s+] an East European language. [Standard English Bohemian +
                    Hungarian]

                    Here's another idea:

                    bootchkey/butchski n. [20C] (US) a Czech immigrant. [Czech pockej,
                    wait, used by Czech youngsters while playing games and thus adopted
                    as generic by early Eastern European immigrants]

                    Simon
                  • Zemedelec@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
                      In a message dated 2/27/2 9:34:20, vollams@... writes:

                      << > Simple Simon?

                      You called?

                      That's the problem with an undeclined language, isn't it--the vocative can be
                      ambiguous.
                    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
                        In a message dated 2/27/02 8:53:15 AM, coilin.oconnor@... writes:

                        >Would "simple Simon" be too silly-billyish?

                        Might not be. Thanks.

                        JK
                      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
                          In a message dated 2/27/02 9:56:43 AM, mgrant@... writes:

                          >I think "the Bohunk" (without hick) might actually be a pretty good
                          >solution, assuming you need to retain the idea that he was Czech.

                          Don't you think "Bohunk" is too derogatory? It could be affectionate or
                          viscious, like the N-word, I suppose, depending on the context.

                          Jamie
                        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 27, 2002
                            In a message dated 2/27/02 10:05:11 AM, coilin.oconnor@... writes:

                            >Thanks for the correction. I was writing it the way I had always heard it
                            >in that "and we don't take no trips on LSD" country song by that guy whose
                            >name I can't remember...

                            Merle Haggard
                          • Michael Grant
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 28, 2002
                              On 2/27/02 9:08 PM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

                              >> I think "the Bohunk" (without hick) might actually be a pretty good
                              >> solution, assuming you need to retain the idea that he was Czech.
                              >
                              > Don't you think "Bohunk" is too derogatory? It could be affectionate or
                              > viscious, like the N-word, I suppose, depending on the context.

                              Norwegian?

                              From your description I thought it should be at least a little bit
                              derogatory. No one I know down here uses "Bohunk" except as a joke, and I'm
                              sure if I were of Czech descent I wouldn't be offended by it. Czechs in
                              Texas aren't a group that anyone looks down on AFAIK. If the word is used
                              with real venom elsewhere I may not have the proper feel for it.

                              Michael

                              --
                              _
                              | |
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 28, 2002
                                In a message dated 2/28/02 11:14:56 AM, mgrant@... writes:

                                >From your description I thought it should be at least a little bit
                                >derogatory. No one I know down here uses "Bohunk" except as a joke, and
                                >I'm sure if I were of Czech descent I wouldn't be offended by it. Czechs in
                                >Texas aren't a group that anyone looks down on AFAIK. If the word is used
                                >with real venom elsewhere I may not have the proper feel for it.

                                I can't tell from the writing style of the quote if the guy was called "Cesky
                                Honza" derogatorily or affectionately. It's written in that 19th-century
                                style which aims at breezy reading and pleasant amusement even when
                                describing unpleasantness, so it's hard to tell. Since Bohunk, like Polack
                                and n***er (pardon my timidity; I work at universities) can be both
                                affectionate and derogatory, I guess Bohunk would do.

                                Thanks very much.

                                Jamie
                              • Tony Long
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 1, 2002
                                  Most of the fishing boats/quays I once worked on - high nickname
                                  environments) had a resident thicko. Reverse humour usually gave him his
                                  nickname, more often than not '[Nationality] Einstein', or 'Brain of
                                  [Nationality]' after a radio quiz show that doesn't seem to know when to
                                  die. 'Shit-for-Brains' also featured, but might be a little OTT for the
                                  context. And in memory of Saint Dury, let us never forget 'Clever Trevor',
                                  who haunted nearly every part-time job I ever had in the south of England.

                                  Best

                                  Tony

                                  Known in those days as 'Bollocky Long' not, unfortunately because of any
                                  particular courage or sexuality, but because of a reputation for getting
                                  very bad-tempered, often with authority figures (usually the harbourmaster
                                  or the local bailiffs), and being very stroppy about rules and regulations.