Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Postal vs. mailing

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2002
      In a message dated 2/27/02 4:30:00 AM, miriamcekalova@... writes:

      >I have an easy question. My colleague and I cannot come to an agreement
      >as to whether it is possible to use the term "postal" address. My colleague
      >has studied in the United States, so he suggests "mailing" address.

      Your colleague needs to spend more time in the United States, and pay more
      attention. "Postal address" and "mailing address" are both perfectly
      acceptable, natural expressions in American English, and neither one sounds
      "too British" to us or even foreign at all.

      We also have "postal abbreviations" for states, such as MI, MN, NV, MA. And
      sometimes, when we know that a form will be filled out by both Americans and
      people outside the US, we write "postal code" instead of "ZIP code".

      There is no rule for the use of "mailing" and "postal". It's like "autumn"
      and "fall". We Americans say both.