ADMIN: Onelist resources and other business

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
      From offlist conversations I have had, I get the idea that not everybody is
      aware of the
      resources available with Onelist. Go to your "My Onelist" page by entering
      your e-mail and
      password at www.onelist com and you will find:
      - Searchable archives of all previous Czechlist mailings,
      - A list of all Czechlist members plus e-mail addresses (22 at the last
      count and rising),
      - Capacity for storing downloaded files
      - Facilities for changing your settings to "view only" (i.e. no e-mail is
      sent - you view mail
      from the Onelist site) or digest. BTW the only potential drawback with
      digest mode is that
      you don't receive any attachments, which is maybe not such a bad thing.

      Paul - if you wish to unsubscribe and reregister, you will probably find it
      takes Onelist several
      minutes to assimilate your first instruction. Pressing "refresh" on your
      browser sometimes
      helps too. If this fails, I can unsubscribe you from my end at your request.
      Strange that it was only Irena's responses that got sucked into the
      bottomless pit, though. Maybe the abyss feeds on question marks. BTW I
      passed on your details as you suggested.

      I should have a little time to recruit more members to the list this
      weekend. Poaching JTP people has been suggested. Adverts in Prague Post is
      another idea. Getting local agencies to pass on details to their translators
      would be ideal, but at the very mention of such a thing, I find they act
      like vampires in front of a cross. Any other bright ideas?

      Don't work too hard now,

      Melvyn
    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
        Getting local agencies to pass on details to their translators
        > would be ideal, but at the very mention of such a thing, I find they act
        > like vampires in front of a cross.

        Excuse me, Melvyn, but it sounds to me like a good joke to ask local
        agencies to help in promoting Internet mediated discussion among
        translators.

        Any other bright ideas?

        1) An ad to JTP journal.

        2) http://www.inet.cz/jtp/index.htm
        There is the JTP database at this URL administrated by Mr. Pacholik who
        cautiously protects the JTP "members only" e-discussion group from
        non-members. But you can use it to access Eng-Cz translators. (Many of them
        have their own e-mail addresses listed there).

        3) Maybe to ask Mr. Radovan Pletka to help to promote the list. You may ask
        him to consider how it might help him to promote his own services.
        www.czechtranslation.com
        RPletka@...

        4) I think the ATA has its own database on the web, you might search there
        to contact people with our combination.

        5) Dejavu database (the same thing).

        6) Aquarius database.

        But I guess, you may need to ask other translators (not agencies, haha) to
        give you some help to accomplish all of this.

        Kostas
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
          > From: "Melvyn Clarke" <zehrovak@...>

          > I should have a little time to recruit more members to the list this
          > weekend. Poaching JTP people has been suggested. Adverts in Prague Post is
          > another idea. Getting local agencies to pass on details to their
          translators
          > would be ideal, but at the very mention of such a thing, I find they act
          > like vampires in front of a cross. Any other bright ideas?

          The most efficient method for disseminating anything is always personal
          reference. If you send a message to a dozen of your friends translators, and
          if half of them do the same, you will cover half of Czechia�s population in
          the fourth or fifth generation (OK, perhaps not that much, but you see my
          point). If you can sell Herbalife this way, why not the CzechList?

          As to JTP, they�ve got their own list in eGroups recently. Strictly for
          their members - perhaps they want to justify somehow their not very modest
          membership fee.

          Greetings
          Martin Janda

          Oh, I promised to introduce myself last time. OKay, a free-lance
          translator/interpreter, English-Czech, living in Prague, doing mostly
          legalese, but some technical stuff as well (cars, mobiles, banking IT -
          what the life and agencies are bringing). I started with SF books some
          years ago - much more fun, that�s for sure, but rather underpaid and
          you are constantly at risk of never getting paid at all when your
          publisher disappears.
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
            >you will cover half of Czechia�s population

            Ugh, can we please ban the word "Czechia"?
            :-)
            Michael