6395Re: [Czechlist] catalogue

  • Simon Vaughan
    May 1, 2001
      Hi Tony,

      > In mid-catalogue, doing the usual stimulating 'please translate the
      titles and we'll show you the pictures later' routine, I find I cannot
      think of a phrase to translate 'Dar autora' in a satisfactory way.

      > Is a photographer an 'author' and if so, when?

      No and never, in my opinion, but he can be an artist. And so I'd
      translate 'Dar autora' as 'Gift of the artist'. This phrase 'Gift of ...'
      seems to be the usual formula for introducing information about the donor
      of a work of art, in my experience.

      Simon
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic