52363Re: [Czechlist] FILM TITLE Ruda eminence

  • Charles Stanford
    Sep 25, 2013
      Grey Eminence sounds a bit weird to me Matej. Looks like it is fairly widely used in that form, but in the UK at least we would be more likely to talk about "an éminence grise". Originally used about Richelieu (or actually about one of his advisors according to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89minence_grise), but it would just be taken to refer to that sort of shadowy figure and not necessarily Richelieu - try Googling "Eminence grise" and "Peter Mandelson" and you will see what I mean.

      On 25 September 2013 12:30, Matej Klimes <mklimes@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      just a quick check.. I have a letter about a proposed new film/script,
      called "Ruda' eminence"

      (It's a docudrama about the Commies, some spies, Commies getting rid of
      Slansky etc., anyway the title refers to the Commies and the regime in
      general, and the ones at the top in particular [Gottwald et al])..

      I see "The Red Eminence" is associated with Cardinal Richelieu - not a
      bad analogy, actually, except it's used to refer to him as a person
      whereas my title is more collective (only in one of its meaning,
      though)..

      My question is would using "The Red Eminence" automatically mean
      Richelieu to an ENG speaker and should I aim for something else, or is
      it OK given that the sinister nature of the Commies' and Richelieu's
      plots was somewhat similar?

      It's just for a mention of the project in a letter, but once I do the
      ENG title it may stick, so I though I'd check

      Thanks

      Charlie Stanford
      Telephone:  +420 326 996 382
                       +420 737 583 608
      Skype:          charliestanfordtranslations
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic