52352RE: [Czechlist] Length of resume in Europe

  • wustpisk
    Sep 17, 2013

      lucky my job doesn't depend on that last contribution, what with the obvious error cunningly placed in there :)

      --- In czechlist@yahoogroups.com, <czechlist@...> wrote:

      Since I run the Michigan chapter of the ATA, I often receive resumes from people in Europe that would not be acceptable in the US. (The people mistakenly think our organization is a translation agency, and not a professional association, so they apply to us for freelance work.)

      I'm used to seeing certain things on European resumes that we do not put on them in the US, such as a photo, age, marital status, etc.

      However, the thing I'm finding with these resumes I'm getting is that they stretch on for 7 or 8 pages. In the US, we're advised to keep our resume down to just one page, or two if we are very experienced. If it goes to four or five pages, the employer is liable to think the applicant is unprofessional and just throw the resume away.

      Is it acceptable in Europe to hand someone an 8-page resume?