52324RE: Re: [Czechlist] PRONUNCIATION: SHE abbreviation

  • dagmarwt
    Sep 12, 2013

      Alas, I have heard it pronounced as 'she' during many a presentation at EWC meetings...And of course, it was known and understood as such by all the foreign employees as well :)

      Dagmar

      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, <czechlist@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Often initialisms like that are pronounced as the word they look like, but in this particular case, my gut feeling is that they would pronounce it S-H-E.

      I think we spell them out if they are only one syllable. So something like NAB (New American Bible) would be pronounced N-A-B, but an abbreviation like FAFSA will really be pronounced as a nonsensical word.

      Jamie