52190Re: CHAT: Czech please or Czech Please

  • Melvyn
    Jul 29, 2013
      >Wow, you studied with Pynsent, Melvyn.

      His outspoken humour can be quite amusing for about ten minutes, Zuzka. I studied with him for three years.

      > And Inultus made you laugh- poor Zeyer.

      Well, I enjoy camp gothic melodrama as much as anybody, but after a point you have to laugh or cry. :_O

      >My thesis was on poetika Obnovenych obrazu. I basically concluded 1) he treated his topics in a way that resembles oral tradition and 2) why not use his works as an introduction to (even) old(er) literature in school? (I was at the Faculty of Education :-))

      This is interesting stuff. Which works of his did you have in mind? So much is available online these days. Is Plojhar worth the effort?

      >I don't really care about his being gay or otherwise, even
      though I'm pretty sure he experienced a great deal of frustration.

      The fin de siecle was a period of social, religious and psychological ferment and frustration for so many writers at so many levels IMO. Spirituality, sexuality and ethnic and cultural identity often seem to somehow reflect one another. My impression is that Zeyer had eclectic tastes and experimented in using one sphere to mirror and express another. Bit of an all-rounder, to use a cricketing expression.

      Recently I read The Cambridge Guide to the Fin de Siecle. Interesting to compare the Czech "decadents" with their British and Irish counterparts. Some interesting-looking feminist works written at the time too: "between 1883 and 1900 over 100 novels were written about the New Woman, and a large proportion of these came into print in the first half of the 1890s...a whole flood of novels and short stories by
      (amongst others) Mona Caird, Ella Hepworth Dixon, Edith Arnold, George
      Egerton and `Iota' would reach a popular market."

      >Tereza Novakova is waay off mark as for the Czech Jane Austen, I obviously did
      too much contract translation on Thursday :-) Eliska Krasnohorska (mainly
      Svehlavicka) was the name I was searching for.

      Svehlavicka - hmmm a "girl's novel". Well, I always used to enjoy reading my sister's comics. :-)

      Recently read Nas maly, malicky svet by Jaromira Kolarova, another writer in that genre. Sometimes amusing, sometimes hard-nosed depictions of working class life. Brilliant portrayal of her mother, who did not rate young Jaromira's intelligence very highly. I have a good quote from her for those of you who can face Facebook.
      https://www.facebook.com/zehrovak/posts/10152761324920626

      > As for Rettigova, the cookbook is
      the best, but if you want a laugh, go for it!

      Somebody clue me in here. :-) What might I possibly cope with from Mrs Rettigova's cervena knihovna?

      >You have the most awesome to-do list! Kate Bush - another one of my favourites..

      Okaaay. Must brush up my Kate Bush impersonations. =:-O

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic