52186Re: CHAT: Czech please or Czech Please

  • Melvyn
    Jul 27, 2013
      Wow, you studied Zeyer, Zuzana. What was your thesis title? I did a module on the Czech Decadents with Robert Pynsent at SSEES in London and laughed all the way through Inultus. Quite enjoyed Dum U tonouci hvezdy too. Have promised myself to read some more Zeyer sometime and it's right up there on my to-do list between "get into Kate Bush lyrics" and "get a proper haircut". Now have to add Tereza Novakova and Magdalena Dobromila Rettigova (Wikipedia: "muze byt pokladana za zakladatelku ceske cervene knihovny"... wahay, more than just cookbooks, eh?) :-O

      FWIW in Homosexualita v dejinach ceske kultury we read: Na explicitni rovine nenachazi se ani v jeho literarnim dile ani v jeho egodokumentech ani ve svedectvich jeho pratel nic, co by pojmenovavalo nejakou homosexualni zkusenost ci homosexualni citeni. Avsak tytez egodokumenty a tataz svedectvi ukazuji az modelove na to, co Marita Keilson-Lauritz nazyva "homoerotickou konstelaci"... it would hardly surprise me or concern me, but in any case so many writers in those days referred to some unspeakable (and Zeyer does rank quite high on the old nevyslovitelny frequency scale) "thorn in the flesh" (to use Kierkegaard's expression) that you can never really be sure if they just had some amusing fetish or something (like Jane Austen's thing for bonnets).