52167Re: CHAT: Czech please or Czech Please

  • Melvyn
    Jul 25, 2013
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:

      > ...and the other way around, who are the English Bozena Nemcova and Marie Pujmanova?

      In the Coasts of Bohemia Edith Pargeter writes: "Bozena Nemcova was by the standards of the time an extraordinarily emancipated woman, a kind of George Eliot figure".

      George Eliot (Mary Anne or Marian Evans) visited Prague four years before Nemcova's death, I believe. A chance encounter between the two would make a fine radio play IMO.

      Perhaps _very_ loose parallels could be drawn with Elizabeth Gaskell??? Some similarities in their subject matter?

      But my guess is that closer parallels will be found with writers in Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Jamaica, America....

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic