51739Re: [Czechlist] Expression

    May 27 8:05 AM
      At least in the United States, the term is not obscure at all and is the term most often used to describe a robotically submissive wife. Even people who have never seen the movie know what it means. The term is definitely in daily use and has been since the 1970s.

      Google gives me eight pages of hits for "Stepford wife" on pages created in the past 24 hours.

      The term is even in the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary:
      http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/stepford-wife

      And in the Collins English Dictionary:
      http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/stepford-wife

      Since you mentioned younger people, I should point out that when it comes to the millennial generation, all bets are off as to whether they'll think any idiom is "common" or not. Due to issues with the educational system in the US, unless they went to the very best schools, they tend to have impoverished vocabularies (which has been statistically proven), so they're liable to think even very common, established idioms are obscure. (I've cancelled jobs before when I had millennials as editors who can't recognize and won't accept perfectly common idioms that their better-educated peers claim "everybody" knows.)

      Jamie