51588Re: Vejminek

  • Melvyn
    May 7, 2013
      This is all useful stuff. However,

      >calling it cottage would suggest a)
      > remoteness and b) smallness that isn't there ion typical Czech
      > settings..

      Cottages can actually be quite substantial buildings. As Wikipedia says: The term cottage has also been used for a largish house that is practical rather than pretentious, see Chawton Cottage.

      Myself, I used to live at The Cottages in Longford Park, Stretford. Judge for yourself how small they are:
      http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1312185
      Okay this is not your stereotypical rural cottage, but you get my point. These "cottages" are just behind old Longford Hall (now demolished), along with the other outhouses. Hardly remote. And some estates are quite compact too IMHO. :-)

      But these are just options. "Farmstead", "house", "homestead"? etc will also surely work in many contexts.

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic