51464Re: [Czechlist] Craft TWW

    Apr 19, 2013
      I have never heard of them, but from their website (http://craftww.com), they appear to be very interesting. It looks like they're an arm of the worldwide advertising agency McCann-Erikson, and the e-mail addresses of some of their representatives in various places are actually McCann addresses.

      They claim to do very well-crafted translation and say: "We Believe Being Efficient Is Not The Same As Being Cheap"

      I looks like they're less about churning out translations than about recreating the work linguistically and culturally for the national market the document is aimed at.

      If I were in your position, I wouldn't hesitate to take the job, for two reasons: (1) The company looks interesting, and (2) companies like McCann-Erikson and their competitors pay. You probably won't have any collection problems.

      Having worked in the advertising industry, for large companies, I think I know what this company is about. An agency I worked for had a problem with embarrassing translations in the Spanish versions of the advertisements they were hired to create. (Sometimes it was funny, and sometimes it was tragic.) So instead of doing that work in house, they farmed it out to a Hispanic boutique agency that could get the language and culture correct.

      What it looks like to me is that McCann-Erikson had similar issues, and they must have acquired or spun off a translation company themselves to deal with it. That's what Craft appears to be.