51447Re: [Czechlist] Names of US laws

  • Michael Trittipo
    Apr 13, 2013
      On or about Saturday, April 13, 2013, 5:27:54 PM, wustpisk wrote:
      > They look like GT translations of:
      > Code of Federal Regulations
      > United States Code

      Seconded (although in the other order, of course), by an erstwhile
      frequent reader and who still sees them referenced in various texts he
      reads every day.

      >> zakonik Spojenych statu // U.S.C.
      >> zakonik federalnich uprav // C.F.R.
      >> I'm not sure if they're even really translating them or if they're just coming up with vague Czech equivalents.

      Ah, now _there_ would be a thread: in the legal realm, what's the
      difference between "translations" and "(maybe vague) equivalents"? I
      remember back when it wasn't settled whether "Zb." should/ought to be
      "Coll." and I had to defend my choice as being "an abbreviation
      familiar to U.S. lawyers, so they'll know how to unabbreviate it and
      -- more importantly -- help a law librarian find the right text."

      Actually, that's serious: I recall reading a book on the subject, and
      a thirty-plus-page treatise on it. In theory, of course, practice is
      always defective. In practice, it usually is fine. In my view, the
      main question is whether one's audience is (a) the lawyer or judge,
      (b) the law librarian who has to find the original for the lawyer or
      judge, or (c) the person on the street.