51272Re: [Czechlist] Re: Professional opportunity

  • Vít Procházka
    Mar 21, 2013
      Gentlemen
      (and madam).
      I have
      been, indeed, reading all of your contributions.
      My intention
      was to answer them politely, accurately and non-offensively, but the goal has becoming
      increasingly difficult due to the unfounded accusations and biased cherry-picking. I will do my best, though.
      At Helga:
      it takes about two clicks to get to the Contact details (Contact Support>Office
      Addresses and Directions), which clearly state company headquarters including
      physical address. It takes about two clicks to access company´s BlueBoard
      record on proz.com. As you can see, we average 4,8 there. Obviously we cannot
      be that bad. Perhaps your research skills are what is suspicious here? By the
      way, can you quote a law that requires the company to publish their Companies
      Register and/or Registration Number on their promotional webpage to me, please?
      At Mihail:
      you are publicly accusing a legal entity as well as a physical person of a
      fraud and illegal misconduct. Without any facts or evidence. Please reconsider.
      I am merely asking at this point, because I used to believe that freelancers are polite
      professionals who strive to be objective, accurate and respectful.
      At Tomas
      and James: I take you criticism to the heart, as there is some merit to it. We
      do, indeed, use crowd-sourcing (and it is a cost-effective solution). As for
      the pricing, due to the fact that we do have some demands on quality and we do
      indeed try to snag some professional translators, as opposed to only “kids and bilingual
      chit-chat ladies”, you are fully entitled to criticize our rates.
      But please
      consider this:
      As you are
      professionals, I am not addressing you for the Standard but for the Pro level
      (0,08 USD per word for the translator).  Please consider that proz.com´s Average rates reported
      by language pair clearly state 0,11 USD per word for the EN-CZ pair, Standard rate,
      0,08 USD per word, Minimum rate. So we are minimum, alright. The company avoids
      highly specialized texts (such as technical, legal and medical translation), so
      even the Pro level of the translation is probably somewhat easier than your regular
      work. The jobs are posted on the web interface, with email notifications, and
      in case you are interested, you simply snatch them there (or not) - gone is the
      interpersonal need to accept the job, lest the Project Manager never contacts
      you again in the future. Payment is every 15 days, which is an improvement on
      the average 30-45. The jobs are often very short and you can pick a volume which
      suits you. These facts make it an easy, flexible work without much of a need
      for commitment. Thus, they present a good opportunity to fill in your idle time
      that would otherwise go wasted while you wait for your regular, larger contracts.
      It might be
      that every single member of this group has an unwavering massive income high
      above the reported average. If so, then I have simply made the mistake of
      poorly choosing my territory and I stand corrected. My apologies.
      But there
      might be also a person or two, who (still) works for the Czech translation
      agencies and gets paid some 0,04 USD per word for highly specialized texts 45
      days after the invoice and cannot afford to reject their PM lest they get no work at all. For them, this might actually be some improvement.
      Time will
      tell.
      Thank you for the ride.
      V.P.