51076Re: [Czechlist] ISSUE: The Charles University?

    Mar 5, 2013
      On Mar 5, 2013, at 4:24 PM, Melvyn wrote:

      > Well, that sounds like a standard structure to me: The University of X, where X is a place name (but not a field of knowledge, e.g. "Technology").

      Which is why "The University of Economics" sounds so odd.

      > Just as we say the Republic of XYZ but not the XYZ, unless you live in the Sudan, and even there it is debatable. Ukraine complained at the United Nations about usage of the definite article, but let us not get into that.

      Then there's the Canadian propensity to name things "The + [adjective]", which I think is a habit they picked up from the French speakers. I used to tune in to "The National" every night, broadcast across the border.