51075Re: [Czechlist] ISSUE: The Charles University?

    Mar 5, 2013
      What am I supposed to get over? I get TM from Americans who have lived in the Czech Republic for so long that they make the same English mistakes Czechs do. I have a friend who's lived in France for so long she's got a similar problem. I met an American on the train in Germany who'd lived there so many decades he could barely put an English sentence together. That can happen in any era.

      In linguistics there's a similar phenomenon called "example fatigue", where someone working on a research paper has looked at the examples of ungrammatical sentences so many times that they start to seem right to him.

      It's no secret that a long sojourn in a foreign country affects one's judgements about what is and isn't natural in one's native language. It's true in any century. And the longer someone's lived abroad, the more susceptible they are to the problem.

      Jamie