51065Re: CHAT: Deformation professionnelle (was: Monterky)

  • Melvyn
    Mar 5, 2013
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Valerie Talacko <valerie@...> wrote:

      > The difference that occurred to me is that Americans do have more of a
      > habit of being polite/circumspect with strangers (maybe it's a
      > traditional thing - being careful not to cross people whose help you
      > might need, and all that)

      You talkin' to me...? :-)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZTOm1mIyVQ (3.04 in)

      > and thus might simply not be expecting sarcasm from someone they don't know very well. That would be less of a factor in the UK.

      Quite possibly. I find there are regional differences in Britain, e.g. it seems some southerners consider Mancunians and Scousers to be rather over-familiar with strangers.

      We once got chatting with some Scousers on a bus in Wales and one of them offered to share his sandwiches. "Does your wife wanna bite then?". But in some parts of Liverpool I would be very careful who I bantered with.

      BR

      Melvyn
    • Show all 46 messages in this topic