50430Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Trust chemists to make things complicated (was washing up)

    Dec 28, 2012
      He's expressing my exact feelings about going to Starbucks! :-) If I could compare the Starbucks experience to anything, it would be watching MTV Europe in the early '90s. It's the same funhouse of politically correct cliches -- real groaners! -- and even the same music stars are featured.

      There's a chain of bakery/deli stores here called Panera. I went there to get a sandwich once, and it got so complicated -- starting with finding out whether "country white" bread is the same as white bread or something tricky -- that I irritatedly told the girl to cancel the order and walked over to the food concession at Target, where I got a simple ham-and-cheese sandwich wrapped in plastic. (This turned out to be divine intervention or something, because a woman there who I didn't remember thanked and praised me to the skies for making it possible for her to finish university on her third attempt. Apparently, I was the first prof with the politically incorrect guts to explicitly tell her what her problem was and to coach her not to write in Ebonics.)

      Later, in a conversation with a friend, I said, "So I went to Panera to get a sandwich..." She made a face and said, "You went to Panera?" I said yes, but when I told her I'd left and bought a sandwich at Target instead, she replied, "Okay. I didn't imagine you'd have the patience to order at Panera."

      Jamie