50162Re: [Czechlist] [Preklady] Re: Neodolatelna nabidka

  • hgeige@aol.com
    Nov 2 11:53 AM
      What was relevant to me was that while I could "sort of" support myself
      working for Czech agencies in CR, I could not support myself working for Czech
      agencies from the U.S., due to different buying power.

      Of course a translations totaling CZK 15 000 will pay my rent (I assume)
      in Prague, but this amount will not pay my rent in New York. That is all I
      meant, and sorry if I haven't expressed myself clearly.

      What he/she refuses or not was not the issue I was putting forward.
      Thanks, Tomas

      In a message dated 11/2/2012 2:44:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      tomas.mosler@... writes:

      > I maintain that a Czech translator living abroad will not survive while
      > working exclusively for Czech agencies, while a Czech translator living
      in CR
      > and working exclusively for Czech agencies could, I mean, not very well,
      > pays his rent, or not?

      Perhaps, but how relevant is that? I mean, when such a Czech translator
      gets paid xxxxx CZK a month and thinks, fine, this pays my rent, is he bound
      to politely refuse any better rates because he could - what horror - earn
      some money extra? ;) (Or alternatively getting the same month income, but
      having more free time.)

      Besides that, with the same logic Czech (or Eastern Europe) producers
      should sell their products in Czech stores for 1/4 - 1/2 price (because it
      should be sufficient to cover local rents) compared to Western prices of the
      same product distributed over there, but somehow that is often not happenning.

      I mean, if Polish KitKat Chunky can cost 12 CZK / EUR 0.50 and Western
      produced ( = better quality) KK Chunky costs EUR 0.60, or if I can buy a bun
      (roll) in Germany for approx. EUR 0.10 and here for the same price,
      something is wrong with the "pay rent scheme".