50158Re: [Preklady] Re: Neodolatelna nabidka

  • hgeige@aol.com
    Nov 2, 2012
      It is also a matter of buying power. Let us say that the US dollar is
      18.50 CZK today. So, if I live in Prague, I get 462.5 CZK for 1000 words of
      proofreading at $25.00.
      Let us say that a humble one-bedroom apartment on the East Coast (around
      New York, New Jersey) is $1,200.
      If I do live on the East Coast, my health insurance is $418, (a cheap one,
      so called 'catastrophic' one, and it is, in more ways than one) my car
      insurance $900, a dinner in a popular(„lidová“ restaurace)restaurant for two
      is $55.00 before the tip, and a loaf of bread around $4.00. I am not
      saying that I do have to be going to restaurants, just illustrating. My gasoline
      is currently around $3.49 a gallon and my haircut $55.00 (not the best of
      the best, that one is $75.00), before the tip.
      Working for a Czech agency, even a relatively well paying one, means that
      I will get 2 to 3 times less than I’d get from a UK or US agency. Still,
      I maintain that a Czech translator living abroad will not survive while
      working exclusively forCzech agencies, while a Czech translator living in CR
      and working exclusively for Czech agencies could, I mean, not very well, but
      pays his rent, or not?
      Hanka Geiger