49763Re: [Czechlist] Use of the TM symbol in Czech

    Aug 30, 2012
      This is late, but now that we're all back online, I'll weigh in on this one.

      As for English (American) usage of the TM symbol, when I worked in advertising -- and I worked for what, at the time, was "the world's largest advertising agency" -- we did not put the TM symbol after every incidence of the brand name.

      According to our legal department (and subsequent departments I worked with at other agencies), the TM symbol did not have to appear after the trademark every time, but just often enough that it's clear that it's a registered trademark.

      In practice, this meant that we put the TM symbol (or R symbol, or SM symbol) after the trademark the first time it appeared on each page, and left it off the rest of the time.

      We virtually never put the TM symbol after the trademark every time it appeared -- only if we had a nutty client who insisted on it, which was rare.

      Jamie