49648RE: [Czechlist] Re: Use of the TM symbol in Czech

  • Pilucha, Jiri
    Aug 9, 2012
      Re> „it looks weird in a Czech sentence, especially when the word is conjugated (it has an ending tacked onto it, which makes it sound Czech, AND technically it's not the Trade Mark any more, Android is, but AndroidEM isn't, I doubt they registered every possible variant in all languages)... this is a cultural thing“

      I’d say it’s a legal thing rather than a cultural thing.
      They don’t need to „register every possible variant in all languages“, simply because (legally) you are not permitted to change the word in any way. Conjugating the word is violation of the Trade Mark. Strictly speaking you should never use „Androidem“ but always „operacnim systemem Android“. It’s not about „what works better in Czech“ but about multimillion lawsuits. Obviously, it is a pain in the *ss to do this all the time, but here’s the key point: if your client releases your translation wehere the word is changed and thus the trade mark violated (especially in high visibility instances such as advertisng), it’s THEM who’s running the risk of legal action against them. Highly unlikely but not unheard of.

      That much for conjugating the TM-ed words. As for using TM on every occurrence of the word, I agree it’s a lot more elegant to resolve it by small print footnotes instead, and that’s exactly what you see most of the time in the US too (i.e. it’s not a matter of „decent language feeling“ of Czechs as Martin put it) but if the client insists on it I can see no reason why stubbornly refuse it.

      Jiri