49195Re: [Czechlist] chov vs. odchov

  • Melvyn
    Jun 9, 2012
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "SABINA KRÁLOVÁ" <sabina.kralova@...> wrote:
      > I have a special agricultural dictionary and "odchov kurat" is "chicken rearing", chov (plemenny) is "breading". Let me know if you need anything else.´

      FWIW Cesko-anglicky slovnik chov skotu lists odchovna mladeho skotu as young stock rearing station and chov both as rearing and breeding.

      FWIW Cesko-anglicky slovnik chov prasat translates chov prasat as pig, breeding, keeping and raising while odchov selat is piglet rearing and odchov prasat is pig breeding and pig rearing.

      Which doesn't get you very far. Clearly, there is a lot of overlap in everyday usage of the two terms. At least with pigs and cattle.

      I wonder if this is relevant:
      educated and foodie people are confused by the difference between organic, free range, outdoor reared and outdoor bred. The RSPCA and the pork industry are working to standardise these terms and encourage the supermarkets to adopt them...

      Outdoor-bred, the term used by Waitrose means that the sows are kept outdoors and the piglets spend their first four weeks outdoors until they are weaned and taken indoors to be fattened.

      Outdoor-reared is a looser term and means that the pigs are outdoors
      for APPROXIMATELY half their lives.

      http://www.foodsafari.co.uk/2010/10/truth-behind-the-name-free-range-versus-outdoor-bred-and-reared/

      Possibly not.