48254Re: [Czechlist] Re: 10. jubilejni konference

  • Stephan von Pohl
    Feb 2, 2012
      Since Sabina has already decided on "anniversary" (the right choice, in
      my opinion), I am responding just for clarity's sake:

      jubilejni infers that the conference is celebrating its 'kulaty'
      anniversary (10 years). Thus "10th anniversary conference". Anniversary
      indicates that you are celebrating an important milestone.

      "annual conference" would be a better translation for "10. rocnik
      konference" (with the caveat that Czech likes to say "rocnik", which
      doesn't always mean that the conference took place every year. Whereas
      the English "annual" means that the conference takes place every year.)

      When I translate conferences or festivals, I usually translate "rocnik"
      as "annual" only if I know that the event takes place every year.
      Otherwise I leave out the "annual" ("8th Conference on the Joys of
      Bungee Jumping" or "3rd Festival of Snake Charming"), or write something
      like "the 3rd installment of the International Festival of Kite Flying."

      Cheers!