48020Re: person gets her, was "Call us on"

  • Melvyn
    Dec 31, 2011
      >A current speech phenomenon among young American women is what some phonologists call "creaky voice". <snip> You can hear that style of
      "creaky voice" in this video:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWAgt_YCNuw
      You won't find any young men talking like that.

      Here are some young men using "creaky voice":

      http://dialectblog.com/2011/04/29/the-rise-of-creaky-voice/

      Here as elsewhere the phenomenon is particularly associated with Pacific Northwest speech:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creaky_voice

      And I have also read repeatedly that it is a trademark of Bill Clinton (and the comedians who imitate him):
      "Bill brought the creak out of the vocal backwoods and gave it new respectability. Notable creakers like Eddie Murphy and John Travolta didn't sound so pretentious* anymore [...]
      More and more men in the media are going creaky. It won't be long before those of us with an ordinary voice will be outnumbered."
      http://squibbage.blogspot.com/2009/07/creaky-voice-craze.html

      Another creaky young gentleman for you
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYNHUFgdpk4

      From my British viewpoint the weird thing is that I find this "vocal fry" to be a pretty routine part of just about everybody's expressive repertoire in Britain, whether RP or regional. What it actually expresses is a moot point. There must be a thesis in there for somebody. My theory is that it can often be used to express familiarity and "knowingness" - cue "the voice of experience", but in larger doses It can come over as self-absorbed and smug, or as a parody of self-absorption and smugness (check out Mr Bean and Kenneth Williams).

      So it strikes me as odd that young American women are being singled out here. I don't get it. Are they, too, perceived by some as *pretentious? Do they sound "uppity"?

      >Girls like the one in the video
      will probably have to lose that if they get serious jobs.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic