47993CHAT: "Call us on"

  • Melvyn
    Dec 27, 2011

      > There is a joke that Canada got its name because the founding fathers put slips of paper with the alphabet in a hat, drew them out randomly and read them as a secretary noted them down:
      >
      > "C, eh?"
      > "N, eh?"
      > "D, eh?"

      Do Canadians really say "eh" a lot? I have never noticed it.

      Version I heard was that in the language of the coastal Injuns (or whatever it is you are not supposed to call them) Canada meant "go away" or cruder words to that effect, and that is what the founding fathers heard when they first landed and asked "eh, what is the name of this land?"

      But somebody on this list shot that theory down in flames some time ago. Probably you actually.