47990Re: "Call us on"

  • Melvyn
    Dec 27, 2011
      Best definition of "uptalk" that I have heard is "an intonationalized 'you know?'" Not so bizarre among those born since the seventies, apparently.
      http://phonetic-blog.blogspot.com/2010/05/uptalk-in-papers.html

      And I read somewhere that it caught on in Britain due to nationwide broadcasting of regional soap operas, e.g. from Liverpool, wier dey all speak like dat. Not to mention Brummies:
      :-) and remember Shakespeare spoke that way (see relevant Dr Who episode for proof).

      And I remember an old joke from an American colleague about how the Confederates lost the civil war because of their upspeak. Nobody could tell when Robert E. Lee and his fellow generals were giving orders...Left? Right? (Puzzled expressions from soldiers.) About turn? Quick march? Charge?

      > Gerry, I've got news for you. That upward intonation at the end of an affirmative sentence bothers us Americans a lot too. It sounds childish. Don't think every annoying linguistic phenomenon from America is normal here or not annoying to Americans. :-)

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic