46889Urban dictionary, etc.

    Aug 3, 2011
      That's quite true about the Urban Dictionary, but in the case of "sock eater" the definition is accurate.

      However, you also can't completely rely on the judgment of individual native speakers as to whether usage is widespread. This is particularly true with Americans in Generation X and younger who were largely raised with impoverished vocabulary input (daycare where they're talking to other kids and hardly ever to adults, dumbed-down literature in school, etc.). I frequently find that people in that age group insist that certain extremely common expressions "don't exist".

      Jamie