46860Re: [Czechlist] Creative translation contest: Lichoz^routi, Lichac^e

  • Stephan von Pohl
    Aug 3, 2011
      Read both of the books (or was there a third one?). Fun reading,
      although they occasionally suffer from a little too much ethnic
      stereotyping (Africans, Vietnamese). I try to chalk it up to Czech
      naivete when it comes to ethnic etiquette, but still...

      As for the title in English: since we don't have an equivalent of the
      word "licháč" in English, I think any attempt at a literal translation
      will end up as tragic as the two you mentioned.

      Personally, I'd go for something like "The Sock-Munchers". Or
      sock-trolls, sock-gnomes or something like that.