43704Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: [Czechlist] asistent CES-ENG

    Jul 30 4:43 AM
      I have a master's degree and no PhD. I have taught normal classes at several colleges and universities, and I was called something different at each place.

      At the University of Michigan I was a "lecturer".

      At Wayne State University I was a "professor". At most other places I was also called a "professor", but in an administrative context I was called an "adjunct professor".

      I was addressed by staff and students as "professor". Some of the students would start out calling me "doctor", but I would correct them.

      At the University of Michigan, I had students who'd transferred from the main campus to our satellite campus because at our campus they "got a professor for every class". This apparently included me. At the main campus all their instructors were "teaching assistants", they told me.

      "Teaching assistant" or anything with "assistant" in it, means a captive graduate student who is given work to do that the professor supervising him has no time for or doesn't like, which in some cases is ALL his work. Most professors who have assistants avoid teaching.

      Jamie