      From: Liz Spacilova
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:30 PM
      Subject: [Czechlist] Re: Low rates - calling their bluff

      Interesting. But don't you think it's like offering Chanel No. 5 to someone who's looking for Fa? I mean, if they are so desperate and absolutely nothing else is around, maybe they would break down. But usually they hold out until they find that Fa.

      Just last week, for example, I wasted time with a woman who I kept telling I would be too expensive for her. She wanted to assign a technical German-English translation, rush (10 pages in 8 working hours), for 1.4 CZK a word -- that is 7 US cents. We had a couple of back and forths, I sent her my price list, and she wrote back to say I was certainly the most expensive translator she has ever encountered with my language combinations.

      I guess she was looking for Fa... but I did give her ample warning that she was looking in the wrong department.

      - Liz

      > Last weekend I was at an ATA financial translation seminar where one colleague recounted an interesting story.
      >
      > Like the rest of us, he gets those queries, usually through ProZ.com, offering comically low rates.
      >
      > At first he always deleted the e-mails, but one day, just for fun, he decided to start making counter-offers at his normal rates, which are about four times higher than those specified in the agency queries.
      >
      > To his surprise, several agencies actually accepted his counter-offers and paid him quadruple the rate they had originally asked for!

      Jsem chráněn bezplatným SPAMfighter pro soukromé uživatele.
      Až doposud mě ušetřil příjmu 8280 spam-emailů.
      Platící uživatelé tuto zprávu ve svých e-mailech nedostavají.
      Stáhněte si zadarmo SPAMfighter zde: www.spamfighter.com/lcs