41771Re: [Czechlist] RANT: Czech-English dictionary compilers

  • Michael Trittipo
    Jan 3, 2010
      On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 01:00:56 +0000
      "Pilucha, Jiri" <jiri.pilucha@...> wrote:
      > Whilst, in general, many dictionaries deserve criticism, in this
      > particular case are we not making too much fuss about a mere typo?
      > Sounds like they meant to say "stratify"

      Of course, it wouldn't be one typo, but two: "t" for "f" _and_ the
      omitted "r." Moreover, I rather suspect the source is the big bugaboo
      of too many electronic dictionaries: plagiarism. At
      http://amapro.cz/wwww/cz_angl/v/vr.htm
      you will find the supposed verb "statity" _conjugated_ so as to have
      "he/she/it statitys" and "they statityd" in the past. That could be
      taken to suggest that one of the two sites "vacuumed" the other. In
      addition, Seznam already has "stratify" correctly spelled.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic