41765Re: RANT: Czech-English dictionary compilers

  • Liz Spacilova
    Jan 3, 2010
      Happy 2010,

      > Ano, na to neupozornujete poprve a je to velmi zajimave. Od nikoho jineho jsem nic takoveho neslysel a sam jsem se s tim nikdy nesetkal (ze prekladatel nespravne pochopil nejakou vetu, to ano, ale ze by si cely text proste vymyslel, tak to jsem nikde nevidel). Bylo by dobre, kdyby se vyjadrili další English NSrs, jestli maji podobne zkusenosti.
      > Petr A.

      I'll admit that some of my first translations - involving marketing materials for my husband's company back in the early 90s - did look like that. My Czech was still terrible, but I knew what his business was and took what he wrote as a clue for what I should include in his text; the thought of just translating his awkward stiff language made me cringe. He hated my redo, of course, but after a few battles we found something that actually said what he wanted to say and sounded OK.

      Otherwise, over the past ten years I've seen misunderstood lines and some terrible "Czenglish", but never anything ad-libbed.

      Cheers

      Liz
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic