40574HELP! - complicated sentence

  • Jaroslav Hejzlar
    Aug 2, 2009
      Hello, dear listmates!

      I am struggling with a document of the European Commission in which the following tricky clause is included:

      "Subject to the provisions of this Agreement, provisions in the Convention shall be so interpreted as also to include the European Community, within the framework of its competence, and the various terms used to designate the Contracting Parties to the Convention and their representatives are to be understood accordingly."

      Am I right suspecting that there is something screwed up? It is especially the verb "are" (near the end) that seems redundant to me. How do you understand the whole thing?

      I need to hear from you by Monday noon. TIA.
      Regards,

      Jarda