      From: James Kirchner
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 12:24 PM
      Subject: Re: [Czechlist] Help: nadpracovat

      I'm a little confused by the usage. It's flex time if the system is
      actually flexible, voluntary and somewhat controlled by the employee.
      If it's a rigid requirement, we don't have a term for the working
      hours, but for the time off, or for the arrangement of the whole week.

      flex time = The start and end of the work day can vary, as the
      employee wishes, and whatever time is lost or gained at the beginning
      of the day is made up at the end.

      comp time = extra time off at the end of the week (or at any time) to
      make up for being forced to work extra hours on a different day.

      four days on / three days off, or three days on / four days off = the
      employee is forced to work a longer standard shift each day, but he
      gets longer weekends.

      So the system is flex time only if it is flexible and the employee is
      somewhat in control of it. If the employee isn't in control of it, I
      would just use a circumlocution.

      Jamie