37035Re: [Czechlist] to "experience symptoms"

    Aug 1, 2008
      I don't see what the problem is Jamie,

      sure, there are nuances and context-dependent use for the two concepts in Czech (mit priznaky vs. pocitovat priznaky), but I think the same could be said in English (show symptoms etc. vs. experience symptoms)... I don't know the context and the whole document, but unless that suggests otherwise, I think the translator was correct to express the difference between the two by using pocitit for experience..

      From: James Kirchner
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:23 AM
      Subject: [Czechlist] to "experience symptoms"

      I've got a back translation problem where a client is claiming that
      two expressions are synonymous in English that I don't think can be
      rendered precisely in Czech.

      The issue here is the expression "to experience symptoms".

      The Czech translator rendered it as "pocitit priznaky". I usually see
      it in similar documents as "mit priznaky", "projevovat priznaky", etc.

      My Czech is far from perfect, but I don't think there's any equivalent
      of the English verb "experience" in that sense. It seems to me that
      the Czech verbs that equate in dictionaries to "experience" range from
      "zkusit" to "prozit" and that if one of them were used, it would
      either sound like the patient wanted to have the symptoms or that he
      had lived through them.

      Any comments?

      Thanks.