35441A dark lesson

    Feb 1, 2008
      Folks --

      You know that terrible engineer-composed Excel file I was translating
      a few days ago? The one for which I abused your kindness with all
      those ghastly abbreviations?

      Well, I learned a dark communication lesson from that one.

      It turns out all of that horrible stuff was not visible to the client,
      nor to the client's client, and all I was supposed to do was translate
      the visible stuff. All the garbage that became visible when I opened
      it up in a CAT tool was normally accessible only to the engineer who
      put it together. And, evidently me.

      Specific communication is very important.