Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

35418Re: [Czechlist] ireferaty

Expand Messages
  • James Kirchner
    Feb 1, 2008
      Britches. We also have the word breeches, but those are something
      people wore centuries ago.


      On Feb 1, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Jan Culka wrote:

      > britches or breeches?
      > Honza
      > ----- Original Message -----
      > From: James Kirchner
      > To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      > Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 1:55 PM
      > Subject: Re: [Czechlist] ireferaty
      > On Feb 1, 2008, at 5:25 AM, Valerie Talacko wrote:
      > > When do you call pants trousers, btw? (and a store a shop - I did
      > > know this but have forgotten)
      > We call trousers pans whenever we want to. There's no rule or
      > particular time we do it. (What the British ESL books call "pants"
      > are our underpants.) On rare occasions, we also use the word
      > "britches", so when we say that a small child has "filled his
      > britches".
      > That whole bit about the vocabulary "differences" between British and
      > American English is bogus at least 50% of the time. Those lists
      > usually contain differences that don't exist, and they don't list
      > differences that do exist. I always wonder who creates them. After
      > reading those lists all my life, imagine my surprise when I went to
      > the UK and saw things being sold in "cans". (We usually call an
      > elegant, decorated can a tin, by the way.)
      > In the US, you occasionally (but rarely) get a list like that where
      > the term that's claimed to be "British" is really cockney rhyming
      > slang. There's no explanation. They just say the weird term is
      > "British".
      > Jamie
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic