35231Re: [Czechlist] Euphemisms WAS: rescue medication

    Jan 4, 2008
      There's something comical like this in American education. Always
      wanting to soften the blow of failure on students, the education
      community started to stigmatize the use of red ink for marking
      papers. Supposedly the red color is a bit shocking and can negatively
      affect the recipient's self-esteem, thereby discouraging his or her
      further academic endeavors.

      However, although green is supposed to be a friendlier color for that,
      pretty soon it freaks students out as much as red used to.

      When my boss suggested I not use red ink for the reasons above, I
      pointed out to him who our students are: They've dodged machine gun
      fire to escape their countries, seen their neighbors hacked to death
      with machetes, fought in guerilla wars, been kidnapped and tortured by
      Muslim terrorists and had a host of other self-esteem affecting
      experiences. Those who haven't been through those tragedies come from
      countries where teachers bark out the test grades in front of the
      entire class, or where the grades are even read on the radio. I fail
      to see how red ink will bother them.

      Jamie