      From: James Kirchner
      To: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:58 PM
      Subject: Re: [Czechlist] vyspadovat

      On Nov 26, 2007, at 7:50 AM, Matej Klimes wrote:

      > I think you're safe with a grade in this context, if I say so myself
      > as a
      > non-NS, seen it in many technical texts, in fact, I think slope is a
      > little
      > less technical, something engineers would sneer at as layman's
      > language :) -
      > not that there's usually anything wrong with layman's terms, but
      > certain
      > texts sound better with certain terms.

      In a web search, I found several thousand incidences of "slope the
      floor", the most prominent of which were in somewhat technical
      documents and referred to the same process I was talking about. Many
      of them talked about "sloping the floor" to allow drainage.

      When I searched for "grade the floor", I got many more hits, but they
      generally had nothing to do with vyspadovani, and most had punctuation
      intervening, such as "grade, the floor" or "grade. The floor".

      So I figured I was okay with "slope" in this context.