3405Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Business partner

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Nov 3, 2000
      In a message dated 11/3/00 9:13:38 AM, mgrant@... writes:

      >I think the giveaway is the mention of Bosch. Germans tend to use
      >"Partner" in a manner similar to Czechs, so it creeps into the
      >English of people who do business in Germany, even if the texts are
      >written by native English speakers.

      I think this is universal to the corporate world, and especially to the
      automotive industry, not just to those dealing with Germany.

      >FWIW, I like "associate" in this context, although it doesn't have
      >the warm-fuzzy all-in-this-together connotations of "partner".

      The trouble with "associate" is that, since the rise of Walmart, it has come
      to mean the same thing as "employee", especially a low-level employee, like a
      cashier.