33289Re: [Czechlist] Re: help ENG-CES non-enlarged meeting

  • Bedrich Hadziu
    Apr 1, 2007
      Jamie wrote: "One of the features of EU English, or Brusselese, is that it
      frequently uses false cognates from French as if they were equivalent
      in English, resulting in weird-sounding prose."

      Jamie, what do you mean by "false cognates"? If you mean words derived from one original source but differing in the meaning in the respective languages (or within the same language) then I do not think that the expression 'false cognates' is correct.

      Here are 3 definitions of "cognate" from Merriam Webster:

      b/ of a word or morpheme: related by descent from the same root or affixal element in a recorded or assumed ancestral language *English eat and German essen are cognate* *Latin -us and Old Norse -r are cognate* or by the processes of derivation or composition within a single language *English boyish and boyhood are cognate* often used with with, sometimes with to *English foot is cognate with Greek pous*
      c/ of a word: related in a manner that involves borrowing rather than descent from or as well as descent from an ancestral language *English tobacco and French tabac are cognate* often used with with, sometimes with to *German panzer is cognate with English paunch*
      d/ of a substantive: related usually in derivatin but sometimes only in meaning to the verb of which it is the object (as song in *she sang the song*; race in *he ran the race*) *cognate object* *cognate accusative*

      None of them suggests that cognates are expected to carry the same meaning.

      "False cognates" would mean to me words that are falsely believed to have identical derivation whereas they do not.

      I do not believe that it is what you have meant.

      Bedrich

      James Kirchner <jpklists@...> wrote:
      One of the features of EU English, or Brusselese, is that it
      frequently uses false cognates from French as if they were equivalent
      in English, resulting in weird-sounding prose. "Harmonization" is
      one of those false cognates, but the world has been beaten over the
      head with it for so long that everyone has started using it.

      No dictionary seems to have the word "zparchantely" in it. Can
      someone explain it to me?

      Jamie