32236RE: [Czechlist] HELP: Some MENU ITEMS

  • ing.Sárka Rubková
    Nov 1, 2006
      Hi, coilin,

      That ceska klasika moderne - I presume this means something like "a
      traditional Bohemian meal prepared in a modern way" but I was
      wondering if anyone can think of anything snappier

      Yes,

      Medailonky z panenske svickove - are these pork tenderloin medallions?

      yes

      lite palacinky - not quite sure what lita is supposed to mean here

      It means that they are made of "lite testo" (batter) - semi-liquid stuff

      platky z kurete smazene v trojobalu stouchane brambory s opekanou
      cibuli a kminem - I presume that "v trojobalu" means breaded and not
      battered, and that "kmin" here means caraway seed and not cumin?

      yes
      STAROCESKE LOKSE S UZENYM MASEM - I have no idea what "lokse" is
      supposed to mean :-( (fwiw there's a hacek over the s)

      placky z brambor, kysaneho zeli a mouky opekane na tale (does opekane
      na tale mean something like baked on a hotplate?)
      Lokse is old name for type of potato pancake made of boiled potatoes,
      flour, egg and suarkraut. They are bakecn directky on hot plate. Tal is that
      a thick metal plate which was use on old stoves.

      PECENE VEPROVE OCASKY
      peèené oháòky na prima obiracku (I have no idea what "prima obiracka"
      is supposed to mean and would be very grateful for an explanation.
      Also do Czechs really eat pigs' tails?)

      Yes, we do, the tails have the finest pork meat without any fat. Of cource
      there are many bones (vertebras) which you have to carefully pick (obrat and
      therefore "obiracka", the burcher usually cut a bit o pig's buttocks where
      there is more meat.

      tou - fu s pecenou ryzi, svestkovou omackou a mladymi vyhonky (are
      these mlady vyhonky bean sprouts or young bamboo shoots?)

      I wouild say sprouts

      PANGAS
      200g filetu na arasidovem oleji, fenyklove luzko se smetanou a bilym
      peprem - any idea what the fillet (cooked) in peanut oil is (i.e.
      beef, pork, etc.)

      Fish

      hovezi svickove s grilovanou slaninou, toustem a pecenym vejcem - any
      idea what kind of egg this is? I've never heard of baked or roasted egg...

      I tžhink they mean fried egg

      Hope this will help you

      sarka

      MTIA