32051Re: [Czechlist] Please recommend a rotten website

    Oct 12, 2006
      I plan to bring up the problem of flags and language selectors in the
      class today. I have the same problem with the Union Jack being used
      as a symbol for English, because I grew up near the border between
      two English-speaking countries, neither of which is under the Union
      Jack. It never occurred to me that that flag would symbolize a
      language, so the first time I was in Germany, I read the German
      instructions over the pay phone, because I assumed the instructions
      under the Union Jack were only for people phoning Great Britain. Now
      that I know it's used to symbolize the English language, it always
      strikes me as a little insulting, as if the owner of the website is
      saying, "We're only interested in British visitors, but if you speak
      English, I suppose you can look at this also." I know this is not
      their intention, but it's the feeling I get from it anyway.

      And what about when they use the Saudi flag to symbolize the Arabic
      language -- isn't that ghastly? It would really disgust many Arabs.

      There's an even stranger example: Until last year, when I sent them
      an irate e-mail about it, the website of the Czech embassy in
      Washington used the Union Jack to symbolize English. A few days
      after I complained, they replaced it with the US flag, which is still
      stupid, because, again, so many Americans don't know that flags are
      supposed to symbolize languages, and English is not just our language.

      My dream is to have a bilingual Czech-English website and use the
      Texas flag to symbolize the Czech language, since like Great Britain
      for English, Texas is where a large minority of the speakers of Czech
      live.

      Thanks very much for the tip.

      One of the things I find interesting on some Czech websites for
      hotels, for example, is that the way they describe their cuisine
      would be rather nauseating to people in North America, and the
      descriptions of spa treatments can sound scary and freakish to people
      in countries that have no strong spa tradition. They should
      completely change the focus of the English site, but they don't know
      any better.

      Jamie