31704Re: [Czechlist] Comparative word counts

    Aug 1, 2006
      Not sure about generally accepted figures but I guess these two things
      may vary a lot - most of my target Czech texts are about 10% shorter
      than the source text, but I vaguely recall that in times when I was
      working into English, the resulting texts were at least the same size
      but mostly a bit longer than the source. I guess it has often much to
      do with language/writing skills - those who are less gifted in creative
      writing (even if writing in their mother tongue) tend to need longer
      phrases to tell their message. (Now, this was a long phrase, wasn't it?
      :-)

      But yes, there is a myth shared by at least some Czech agencies that a
      translation has to be about 10% longer (probably because they are
      working with poor translators only).

      Martin