31702Comparative word counts

    Jul 31, 2006
      Someone has contacted me (and probably some of you) to find out if
      there's any typical ratio that can be used as a rule of thumb for
      estimating the probable word count in a Czech-to-English translation
      and an English-to-Czech translation.

      Does anybody know of something like that? All I could tell her was
      that my English usually comes out about 25 percent shorter than the
      original Czech, IF the Czech formality level is inappropriate for
      English.

      Does anybody have any generally accepted numbers?

      Thanks.