30271Re: TERMS: poptavka vs. nabidka

  • Michael
    Mar 1 9:06 AM
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Iveta Pecinkova - preklady a
      tlumoceni" <preklady@...> wrote:
      > I wonder whether native speakers see any difference
      > between RFQ and RFP in this context.

      I don't see much. In the U.S., I'd tend to limit the "quote" form,
      which is almost never heard, as being for something pretty cut-and-
      dried, standard, off-the-shelf, and "proposal" (which is what I've
      almost always heard in a variety of contexts) as being for something
      that might involve alternatives, design or project choices, etc. But
      for any practical purpose, they'd be synonyms.

      It may be a regional variation. Google shows the following
      difference between the U.S. and the U.K.: when sites are made
      predominantly U.S. by using the site restriction site:.edu, site:.gov
      or site:.us, the proportion very very greatly favors RFP over RFQ
      (i.e., "request for proposal" over "request for quote" both spelled
      out in full and limited to precise string by quotation marks): by
      149,000 to 700 in .edu, 227,000 to 900 in .gov, and 273,000 to 900
      for .us -- but using a site restrictor of site:.uk produces a
      disproportion markedly (though less extremely lopsided) the other
      way: 160k for the RFQ and 24k for RFP (both spelled out in full, of
      course). So the US has about a 180:1 favor for RFP; the UK about a
      8:1 favor for RFQ.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic