29829Re: GRAMMAR: Another eighteen countries...

  • coilinoc
    Feb 1, 2006

      > It's permissible to write "the Ukraine". In the Oxford American
      > dictionary I've just looked it up in, it's not listed as the most
      > common way to refer to the country, but it's allowed.

      Technically, it's not any more. It was ok to use the article when it
      was a region of the USSR, which is why many native English speakers of
      a certain age (including myself) feel it more natural to say "the
      Ukraine."

      Since it's become a country, however, its official name is
      just "Ukraine." I know for a fact that many media outlets (such as
      the BBC) insist on this usage and editors will nix the article if it's
      in any submissions to them.

      HTH
      Coilin
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic